Tear Down Begins

Well, with many of the go-fast parts in hand, the tear down has begun.  Here’s what we started with:

We removed the air cleaner and then Micah began removing the carburetor:

You will notice the fuel line is already disconnected.  A bolt, with electrical tape wrapped around the threads was placed into the fuel line.  Next we disconnected the throttle and kick down linkage and then we undid the vacuum lines and bolts.  While Micah did that.  Macrina took masking tape, wrapped pieces around each spark plug, and wrote the number on the tape, to ease reconnecting them to the plugs in the new head.

After removing the carb, Micah then removed the headers, the thermostat housing, the valve cover, the spark plugs, and the rockers and pushrods.

Once everything is off the cylinder head, we then removed the cylinder head bolts holding that on.  Here, you can see we made a box, with an arrow pointing forward, with holes for each bolt.  This we did just in case the bolts were different lengths, so we’d know right where to put them.  The second picture is Micah and Macrina removing the bolts.

Go Fast Parts Acquired

Well, this is the year of the new, performance-machined cylinder head and 2v carburetor.  We have gathered some parts.  Initially, we purchased a cylinder head off a 1980 Fairmont and then the following from Vintage Inlines:

We took the cylinder head to Dakota Engine in Jamestown and we have it back now, and so we’re getting closer (as this last weekend, we also purchased an Autolite 2100–thanks Jacob!).

The picture on the left shows how the mounting plate will fit on the head, which has now been machined opened and tapped so that the mounting plate can be mounted (to which the 2100 can then be mounted).  This is called the “conversion” method rather than simply using an “adaptor,” which is merely an adaptor allowing a 2 barrel carb to be mounted to the single barrel opening.  The result is that this will double the CFM of the engine.  The engine should be ready for that increase, too, as we have the larger valves that fit this head and we had a valve job done on them.  Additionally, we have high-ratio rockers (seen in the first picture above, on the right).  Tear down of the engine will commence next week.  This is be a long, slow project, and eventually, fabricating the throttle and kickdown linkages will be the real challenge.  Stay tuned for more!  This engine is about to get fun!