A Rebuilt Carb for the F100

As you might recall, we pulled the 2 barrel carb (an Autolite 2100) off the F100 earlier this summer.  Our summer has been busy so not wanting to take up mom’s dining table with a torn apart carburetor, we turned to our friend Thom Lawrence for the rebuild.  He did a great job and got the carb back to us a couple weeks ago.  How do I know he did a great job?  I know because Micah and I put it on this weekend and the truck started and ran great!

Here it is mounted on the intake, waiting for me to install the fuel filter so I can connect the fuel line:

carb-install-1

Here’s a shot of the linkage:

carb-install-2

All in all it worked well and Micah loved it.  With a 360 V8 and RWD, what’s not to love about this thing?  This truck screams vintage hot rod!

New Front Shocks!

Well, this past Saturday, we completed our shock replacement on the Comet.  We went to Living Hope Baptist Church for donuts and camaraderie with Bret and his fellow car buffs (Art and Jeremiah were there).  It didn’t take too long and we were home watching the NDSU Bison take it to the Iowa Hawkeyes.  Replacing the shocks on an older Ford Co. car is relatively straight forward.  Place the car on jack stands, place a small jack under the A-arm, or the ball joint right behind the drum.  This is done because if you don’t, the assembly will drop once the old shocks are loose.  Once that’s all in place, loosen and remove the lower nuts holding the shock in.  When they are removed, loosen the nuts on the upper shock brace (the shock itself goes through the middle and is bolted to it.  Then lift the shock out.  Remove the shock from the upper brace and reverse the steps to install the new shock.  Be sure to use the new rubber bushings and nuts and washers that should be included with the new shocks.  Here are a few pictures of Micah digging into this project.

front-shock-1front-shock-2front-shock-3

Replacing Rear Shocks

We had started out intending to replace all four shocks a couple weeks ago but ended up replacing only the rear shocks because we also inspected the rear brakes and decided to do rear brake work just as we had up front.

First, we loosened the lug nuts and then jacked up the car and placed it on stands and removed the tires.  Here’s Micah getting ready to do that:

loosening-lug-nuts

Once that is done, the lower nut is loosened so that the shock is hanging only by the upper mounting bolt.  Micah crawled into the trunk and removed the tabs in the next picture and then used a wrench to loosen the upper nut:

exposing-upper-mounting-bolts

Installation is simply the reverse.  Mount it at the top and then connect it at the bottom.  Hardware should be included with each shock.

rear-shock-install-1 Here is the driver’s side shock installed.

leaky-wheel-cylinderYou can see here how much the driver’s side wheel cylinder was leaking.

The car now has fully rebuilt brakes (front and rear) and the rear shocks really helped a LOT.  The old ones were so bad, I could just pull them in and out without any effort.  The rear springs, which will also be replaced someday in the future, were the only things doing anything back there.  Next post will cover the front shocks.